While there’s nothing wrong with favorite fall traditions such as apple picking, pumpkin carving, haunted houses, and enjoying nature’s colors as the leaves change, sometimes it’s fun to discover new autumn adventures that are a bit off the beaten path.
- Looking for something a little different to make with your fall veggies? Look into fermenting your food! Visit a farmer’s market or take vegetables from your home garden. Did you get a haul of apples from your local apple orchard? Try your hand at fermented apple cider!
- Make wine (including mulled wine) or brew your own craft beer! Home kits are relatively inexpensive, and some local breweries offer classes and let you bottle your own beer. Homemade wine or beer also make great Christmas gifts. (check out Brew Kettle if you want to learn more!)
- Another terrific gift idea - create your own mulled cider kits to give to your kid's teachers, your friends, or family.
- Take a new spin on traditional s'mores!
- For a fun, interactive experience that goes beyond traditional haunted houses, try an Escape Room adventure.
- Instead of a nature hike to enjoy the beautiful autumn leaves, kick it up a notch by making it a geocaching expedition with your kids, your friends, or your sweetheart.
- Clear, beautiful fall weather means it’s time for some of the best Hot Air Balloon Festivals of the year.
- Considering an autumn road trip? Don’t forget to take in some uniquely American roadside attractions.
- Find your local Oktoberfest and enjoy the German-themed food, dancing, and beer.
- Host a bonfire! Pick a cool fall evening when the warmth of a fire will be appreciated to invite friends over. Make a bonfire, or use a backyard fire pit or chiminea. Be sure to have plenty of warm beverages on hand, such as spiced apple cider, hot chocolate, or other, more adult beverages.
- Check out some fall music festivals -- whether the one you love is local, out of state, or even international, it just might be worth the trip!
- For autumn sports that go beyond football season, try finding a Tough Mudder or Ninja Warrior competition to cheer on...or to participate in!
- Speaking of mud, how about attending a 4-Wheeler Mud Racing event or a monster truck obstacle course?
- Another unusual and interesting sport to check out this fall is bike polo. Invented by bored bike messengers during their downtime, this new sports event is now on the verge of becoming mainstream!
Arts & Crafts
- Think outside the pumpkin! Turn gourds and other veggies into fall decorations or Halloween critters.
- Turn your food into edible crafts, such as these Halloween decorations, Thanksgiving-themed edible decor, or even a football stadium made of tasty snacks for the next big game!
- Fall crafts aren't just for kids - grab some of these fun craft ideas and host an autumn-themed crafting party!